Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A hope for tomorrow

So there i was attending this annual day function at Geetanjali Devashala as part of my work when i was hit by a wave of memories that just flooded me. It was a different sensation altogether being in the audience of a school's annual day and not being part of one.

I remember how much fun i used to have during my annual days. The excitement, the enthusiasm and just that feeling of doing something on stage for your school, is something that will never come back. The crazy costumes, the rouge that's applied on your face, the anxious teachers and parents-annual days were fun.

It's been years since i have been to one-not after i passed out of school and i felt so good and so positive as i watched the performances begin.

School annual days and sports days are a big deal in our country. And am glad they are. Because to me they are those few opportunities that you as an Indian student (of course times have changed now) have to present yourself, to put your best foot forward and to shine. It is also the time for you to get over your crazy fears and just do your best, not to mention learning to work in a team.

Today, as i sat in the front row and watched the students-from the tiny tots to the teenagers-i felt a strange sense of harmony. I felt at home, though this wasnt my school or these weren't my classmates.
And perhaps what made me feel so peaceful and positive was that even after 9 odd years after having passed out of school, the school annual day routine was still the same. It still reflected India, its diversity, its challenges and still brought out the patriotism that few of us adults feel or can identify with nowadays.

The innocence and enthusiasm with which they performed those dances-traditional dances of different states-and participated in plays, gave me hope. It for once silenced the cynic in me which keeps telling me oh nothing is going to change... for once there was this really strong positive voice in me which told me-hey there is still hope.

If my next generation and their next generations are still getting the message of Indian independence, of religious tolerance, of terrorism and corruption, then there is hope. Because, this generation too, like many in my generation will strive for a better tomorrow. And they are so a very aware set of youngsters. Aware of their rights and responsibilities. And that thought gives me hope.

It was with a lot of pride as an Indian i watched them unfold the different facets of my beautiful country. I was filled with pride as these little ones showcased the diversity of my nation and made me realise that in my cynical little world, i was missing out on the larger picture-that despite all the problems and challenges, we as Indians have managed to live with tolerance and in harmony.

Yes, we have problems but then we also have people like u and me and those students who performed today at that Annual Day with their full heart and soul, who will find solutions.

And yes, the feeling of singing your national anthem with others is a different feeling altogether.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

Niz post Priya!!

One dialogue we often heard at school was "you young people are the pillars of India tommorrow" . Though the dialogue was so common and we used to make fun on tht dialogue ,it did inspire us...

Recently wen i re-visited my school for a getto , the principal kept telling the same..

Hopefully our next and next generation also grows as we grew...

Aparna said...

Completely agree with you priya..well said :) reading your post reminded me of my school annual days.. very true! Yes.. there is HOPE!

Venkat Parthasarathy said...

Nostalgia - sheer nostalgia !

School and Growing up was real fun, its 25 years since I left SRKV and even today remember the small things that went into the Annual day preparations...! Things have NOT changed - I mean it technological advancement and modernisation may have brought the World to a different plane today from what it was when I was in School or for that matter when you were in school, but the excitement of the kids and the palpable tension of parents & teachers backstage are quite the same.

I am glad you have witnessed the same... and relived your childhood. I too do - as a parent, through my daughter's activities in School.

Fantastic post - good thought to put it up here - Will be writing a similar one on my Blog tonight :)

Anonymous said...

Priya, Anuual days have always been fun for the students. As a parent one can really feel so young, funny and excited at such times.

Good post!

Racing Raccoon said...

you are absolutely right! Things will take a turn for better.. and yes.. when you sing the national anthem, its the best thing ever. cheers.